Beat the Heat!
It doesn’t take much to fall victim to heat-related illnesses. Here are five tips from the Centers for Disease Control to help beat the heat:
- By the time you feel thirsty, you are already dehydrated. Drink plenty of water throughout the day. If you are perspiring, you are losing nutrients. Replenish with drinks containing electrolytes and stay away from sugary, carbonated drinks.
- Stay in the air-conditioning. If your home does not have air conditioning, go to the shopping mall or public library–even a few hours spent in air conditioning can help your body stay cooler when you go back into the heat.
- Electric fans may provide comfort, but when the temperature is in the high 90s, fans will not prevent heat-related illness. Taking a cool shower or bath, or moving to an air-conditioned place, is a much better way to cool off.
- Wear lightweight, light-colored, loose-fitting clothing.
- NEVER leave anyone in a closed, parked vehicle.
Click here for tips on how to keep your cooling bill low this summer.